Saturday, May 2, 2009

I'm A Walker...

For those that have been following my blog for a while, you might remember the one titled, "I'm A Runner." link

It discussed one of my favorite sections of my monthly magazine, Runners World. They interview various celebrities on why they run.

Yesterday, watching Laura construct my new walker, it hit me: I'm now a walker.

Believe me... I'm not making light of this. I fully embrace this because it's the best that I can do for now. In fact, I'm barely a "walker" at the moment. I'm barely even a mover. I move so slowly and just inches at a time... paint dries faster than I can move!

To get up and get behind that walker takes an incredible amount of effort. Within 1o minutes I'm sweating like a pig, and it just kills me to move that leg. If I didn't know before, I now know... that knee is locked and pinned in place!

So where am I on the pain scale today? Pretty much a constant 6. I'm taking that as a good sign because I'm thinking I've got to experience a lot of pain before the healing begins... or maybe that's the healing that is going on.

I've been "home" now for 24 hours and it's been great. My parents have gone above and beyond the measure of care I could ask for... I can tell they're both a little surprised to see me in this condition. But, they're troopers and have tried to make me as comfortable as possible.

My routine has been to be awake about 2-3 hours. During that time I eat, take meds, try to get up and move, read, type, watch TV, etc. When I start seeing double, I know I'm reaching the point of no return. I get worn down pretty easily, so I just stretch out and close my eyes. I'm usually out for 45 minutes to an hour. Then we start it all over again.

Last night, I went to sleep around 9PM. Slept until 12:30, which was shocking. After that, I was up every 2 hours.

Anyway, I'm doing good...

My folks are excited about the Kentucky Derby today, and I had a "what the heck" moment and placed a bet for the race. I figured I was due for some good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment