Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where Things Stand...

As some of you have gathered, I had a little bit of a dip in my spirits in the past few days. I've been told this is "normal" under the circumstances, but I guess it was a little surprising to me as I've tried to have a positive attitude about all of this.

One thing that bothered me in particular was a comment about how I probably will never run again. That was very shocking to me... and there may be a bit of truth in that, which scares the crap out of me.

I'm not really sure what lies ahead... and I guess I need to be prepared that I may have lost something that I really enjoyed. However, taking the "glass is half full" approach, maybe I'll gain something that I never tried before...

Did you know today is 2 weeks removed from my surgery? That's crazy to me... it seems like 2 months! Well, I thought I'd give an update on what's been going on...

First of all, I want to say that I'm under excellent care. My parents are doing a great job helping me out. They get my meals, pick up my meds, always ask "do you need anything," and are truly there for me.

For someone that is used to living alone, this has been a big adjustment. However, I'm enjoying the time I'm getting to spend with them. I think we've settled into a routine... and from everything I've witnessed, they don't seem to mind. Guess that's what parents do, huh? They do anything they can for their kids...

The leg has its good days and bad days. I'm desperately trying to get off of these pills, but the leg has other ideas. The pills make me loopy - which may be a good thing for some people. However, for me, I guess I just don't like that feeling when I'm trying to concentrate. They also make me pretty dang tired.

Speaking of being tired, I've lost a significant amount of my stamina. It's crazy to me to think that 3 weeks ago I was ready to run 13.1 miles... and today I get winded just going to the mailbox.

I nap a lot, too. While this may be a bonus for some people, sleeping actually isn't very comfortable to me. For one, I can't move. I lie on my back with my leg propped up with 2 pillows. When I'm on my back and can't move, I sweat a lot... OK... to be honest, "a lot" should be defined as "gallons of sweat."

Yesterday was a really good day for me. It was "shower day," so that's always a good day. As my mom was driving me to my house, she asked, "Would you like for me to drop you off and let you spend the afternoon by yourself?" Immediately my spirits started to lift, and I told her that was a great idea.

After eating lunch, I took a shower - I'm down to making it a 25-minute experience. I then went out to my living room and laid down on my couch (in my 70 degree air-conditioned environment!) and turned on XM radio and listened to my favorite station - The Highway (DirecTV channel 814) .

I then turned it off and took a 2 hour nap... no lie... and would you believe that morning I took an hour one? Seriously... I'm not kidding when I tell you my system is a bit jacked up.

My parents picked me up around 5, and I came home and spent the evening reading and watching the finale of The Biggest Loser (still can't believe Helen won! Grrr...).

Finally, I'm posting the above picture because people keep asking me to show what my new hairstyle looks like. I also shaved my goatee, but some of you may have seen that already.

So don't worry about me... I'm doing a lot better mentally. I know I'll have my good days and bad ones, but I'm still moving forward. I've got to... it's really the only direction that works for me right now, anyway. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment