Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"What's Up With These Ads???"

I've had a few questions in the past few weeks about the advertisements on this blog... so maybe I should explain them to you.

If you remember, the original intent for this blog ("Running/Exercise/Fitness") was to inspire my readers to find their motivation to "get moving." I wanted to provide as many avenues to do this that I could.

For example, if you look over on the right side, I try and pull articles from various places that may be of interest and similarity to what I'm writing here.

In regards to the ads, I figured I might as well provide "banners" if people think they need new exercise gear - shoes, socks, etc.

Well, to do that, I allow Google to place ads in certain places on the blog. The code I put in actually has a "spider" functionality where it "reads" my content and then provides advertisements related to the topic.

So, if you've been following this blog for a while, you've noticed a distinct change in the banners. Before the accident, there were ads for "24 Hour Fitness," running products, and other exercise-focused web sites. What I didn't understand were all of the "Laser Hair Removal" banners... but oh well.

Now, it's all about the "knee surgeries" and "broken bones" and things like that. Ahh... the times be-a-changin'.

Of course, I put all of this on there not to make money for Google but for me. Basically, if someone clicks on an ad, I get like .03. Once my balance gets up to $100, then they cut me a check. Whoo hoo! I'm in the money!!! Ha!

Well, I might be taking these ads off in the near future because I don't think these really apply to my audience. Before, people clicked more of them because they were of interest. But now? Who is interested in a knee surgeon in their area? DEFINITELY NOT ME!!!!

So, I just wanted to explain all of this to you. I'm also considering changing this blog up and moving it to one that has a more appropriate title. "Running" isn't really going to happen this year anymore. "Rehabbing" or "Recovery" is more of what this has evolved into...

But, feel free to click the ads if you want to give me a little tip. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment