Monday, May 4, 2009

The Pain Meds are Wearing Off...

Do you remember the old board game from Milton Bradley called Operation? The goal was to challenge a person's dexterity (physical skills) to see if they could pull out a body part of "Cavity Sam" without setting off a buzzer... and making his nose light up!

Well, given what I went through last night and today, I might as well have a buzzer strapped to my body and a big red light on my nose.

You see, I've been a bit dependent upon the pain meds. When I checked out of the hospital on Friday, I was given a 30-pill supply of Hydrocodone to take two pills every 4 hours.

I think I've mentioned this before, but as the 4th hour is winding down, I am definitely starting to need a refresher.

While I'm awake, I definitely am aware of when the pills are wearing off. When I'm asleep, I think the red light starts to light up my room! That's an awesome feeling - you're deep in sleep, but you're not understanding, "Why in the heck is my leg hurting?"

Yesterday I realized that the pills were going to be gone before the end of the day. We started calling Walgreens knowing full well that my doctor did not give authorization for a refill. However, we thought they could get the ball rolling and things would be "back to normal" before the end of the day.

Let's just say "DO NOT" wait until the weekend to realize something like this. As of this morning, yours truly was out of the "good stuff" and was relying on the few remaining Percocet pills from last week's ER visit.

My mom fought the fight today... she was on the phone with both parties and trying to get a resolution remedied as fast as she could. Well, my hat is off to her... she got it all sorted out by 2 PM.

In the meantime, I had been visited by 1 nurse, 1 Physical Therapist (who had me do some work to see where I stood), and 2 friends. I had been up several times today, and boy oh boy was my knee throbbing.

When she walked in that door with the drugs, my nose was on FIRE it was so red hot and there was a serious buzzer going off!

Thirty minutes later... All was right again with the world...

Thank God for the scientists who invented this little medication!

No comments:

Post a Comment