Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mom...

I want to introduce everyone to the greatest Mom in the world...

OK... I know... it's Mother's Day, and everyone is doing their best to make sure their "Mom's" are appreciated. Some people may say this is a day that the card companies invented. I've heard others say in the past that it should be renamed "Guilt Trip Day," because that's what you'll receive if you don't honor your mother. Ha!

Well, this is one guy who truly appreciates his Mom!

My mom has been the backbone of this family for as long as I can remember. She takes care of everyone with a servant's heart, no matter the occasion or the circumstance.

And you know what? She loves her family. That's not just words... or something said that should be taken for granted. Our holidays and family moments are all because of her. She organizes everything, and makes sure everyone is happy and comfortable throughout the occasion.

My mom has always been there for me and my siblings. I remember her standing on the sidelines at my soccer games, taking care of me through all of my illnesses (and visits to the ER!), and making sure I knew she wasn't just a parent, but a friend.

To this day, January 9, 1986, has always been the worst day of my life. I will never forget that day. I was a 15-year old Freshman, and I came home from school that day to find my mom waiting for me in the living room. What was odd was she had been out of town (New Orleans) at a seminar, but had come home that day to deliver the worst news I had ever received: My dad had died.

She didn't have to do that. I could have received that news from anyone else. In fact, I could have received it over the phone. But she cared enough about me to be there for me in that "worst of all moments."

Throughout the rest of my "growing up" years, she continued to be the supporting parent. She helped me get my first car, she gave me numerous tips of advice, and she took care of my expenses while I was in college.

Twenty years after moving out of this house, I'm back home. With that same servant's heart, she's totally "here" for me. Through her cooking, cleaning, administration, organization, and anything else I could think of, she's been there for me. From when I wake up to when she goes to bed, her priority is me. It's truly humbling to think I come from such an amazing woman...

I gave her a card this morning - it was waiting for her in the kitchen when she arrived. I was fortunate to have someone pick it out for me while I've been here. In it, I wrote my gratitude for everything she's done for me, and compared it to when I was 10 and had pneumonia.

But I also wrote this: Even though this accident has been a burden on both of our lives, I want you to know that I've truly enjoyed the time we have spent together.

So on this Mother's Day, I want everyone to know who is taking care of me. I hope each of you have a relationship like this with your Moms... and if you are a Mom, I hope one day you can have a relationship like this with your son or daughter.

She's the perfect Mom... and friend.

I love my Mom with all of my heart and soul...

No comments:

Post a Comment