Thursday, May 21, 2009

"So... What Have You Learned???"

I've noticed a pattern the past few days of people not only asking how I'm doing... but what has this experience taught me?

My answer is simple: Appreciation

It's amazing when something humbles you and your eyes are opened to the world around you... I simply appreciate things so much more.

I would love to walk, run, shower, sleep, and do most things that normal people do. Unfortunately, I'm the guy who has to rely on a lot of disability aids these days (see picture).

But I'm not just appreciative of what I'm missing, I've clearly realized the incredible blessings that I have received through all of this.

First of all, my family... Words aren't enough to describe what my parents have done for me. I've tried to express that in these blogs, but I simply couldn't imagine what it would be like had I been alone. I'm so fortunate and blessed... it's just amazing. My parents have been selfless and totally giving through all of this...

I have other family members who are there as well. Through phone calls, cards, and emails, they've reached out to let me know how much they care. Even my little nephews sent me a card - I guess they've seen a few of my pictures and wanted me to know they're thinking of me.

My friends? Wow... food, gifts, cards, emails, phone calls, and visits... my parents keep telling me how "nice your friends are!" My eyes have welled up on more than one occasion at the generosity and "giving hearts" of my friends.

Have you ever seen "It's A Wonderful Life?" It's one of my favorite movies - I own it and watch it each Christmas. At the end, George looks in the book that was given to him by Clarence the Angel and it's written, "Remember George, no man is a failure who has friends."

I've always treasured my friends... if you're one of them reading this blog, I hope you know that. I have tried to be there for each of you, to reach out to you, and to let you always know that you mean a lot to me.

My friends come from a variety of places in life, but each one means something very special to me. I guess you can say each of them has a special place in my heart. There is a connection we've always shared. Loyalty. Trust. Committment. True and complete friendship.

But you know what? Through all of this, I've learned something even more - appreciation. I am so thankful for the time each of you have given me... it's a gift. No matter whether we've spent a few minutes on the phone, shared some emails, or spent time together, I have truly appreciated your prescence.

I feel like I listen more intently... that I grow more as a person with each act of kindness on your part. That sounds crazy, but it's true.

This has probably been the toughest thing I've ever gone through. But my family and friends have showed me something that I'll never forget - giving. You have given me more than you'll ever know.

I know what an effort it has been for some of you. But not matter what, your "gifts" have been an incredible prescription that has aided me in this recovery.

So while I don't (and have never) considered my life a failure, I'm truly honored to have the family and friends in my life that each of you represent.

Thank you... from the bottom of this appreciative heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment