Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"I'm A Runner"

I subscribe to Runner's World because it's a great magazine. If you're a runner, you'll like the tips, tricks, and helpful hints dispersed throughout the magazine. Not only do they have stories to help you train, they have articles on diet - recipes, carbs, calorie intake, etc.

I also enjoy the human interest stories - varying from the beginner to the world-class athlete. I think I identify with each person no matter what their level - we all have to start from the same place!

On the last page of each issue is a short article called "I'm A Runner." They always have someone who most people would know - celebrity, politician, news person, etc. It's always interesting to me to find out, "Wow... they run too!"

This month is about New York Governor David Patterson. While he's had some controversy in office, it is interesting to see I have this in common with him. If you're interested in reading his story, or the others (some may really surprise you), just click here.

Today's run was hot... the temperature is 75 degrees and climbing. While that will be nothing in a few months, it is actually "something" to someone who has been training during the winter. Don't get me wrong - it's beautiful outside. It's just stinkin' hot!

I still ran the 4 miles in 40:09 - a 10:02 pace - and burned 703 calories. Along the way, I encountered a dead snake, numerous kids, 2 girls looking for a lost dog, 3 dogs not on their leashes (1 was the missing dog), the same Chem-Lawn guy at several houses, and a few people mowing their yards.

Oh, and is it me, or do the flowering Pear trees stink? Seriously... take a whiff... that's not a pleasant smelling bloom.

Ahh... the sounds and smells of Spring! I sure am glad I'm a runner to enjoy all of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment