Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Has Sprung!

Living in an urban environment, and being couped up in an office building throughout the week, I long for days like I experienced today!

If you're like me, it kills you to see Mother Nature doing her thing and you're left to look at it through a window.

People need to get out... enjoy the warm temperatures... observe the emergence of Spring! We shouldn't be indoors on days like today... we need re-energize!

When I was a kid, I loved being outdoors. I grew up in a house situated on a creek. I loved it - catching fish and frogs, building forts, and doing whatever I could to get my clothes really dirty. I played soccer all of the time, as well as football with my friends, in yards and parks and empty fields. I was NOT one of those kids that stayed inside playing video games... there was just too much to do outdoors!

But life is not about being a kid forever. We grow up... and we work indoors. Taking the train in to work each day, I often look out at the trees as they begin to grow new leaves. There are flowers popping out everywhere, and the air isn't as frigid. Spring is just around the corner!

I say all of this because I want to encourage each of you to take advantage of this "extra hour" we have received. With the new light added to our days, go outside... walk around the block. Go to a park, ride a bike, walk the dogs, jog on a trail... whatever! Be a kid again!

Today was fantastic. I'm fortunate to live in a city with a vibrant park that is just "bursting" with Spring! Chandra and I met up at White Rock Lake to run 7 miles. The lake is about 9-miles around, and there is a great path/road/byway that circles it.

If you live here, you have GOT to go check out "The Lake." Take the kids and bring some bread - there are tons of ducks waiting to be fed all around the lake. Do you like dogs? They have a dog park... or you can walk yours around the miles of paths. When you go, you'll see that people are fishing, running, walking, biking, roller blading, and even laying around the park areas.

How about flowers - do you like to see a wide variety of blooming trees, bushes, and other plants? Right now, The Lake is just exploding with color! In fact, Dallas Blooms opened this weekend... and guess what? It's located at the Dallas Arboretum... which is at White Rock Lake! It's a great place to walk around, take pictures, and just enjoy the colors of Spring. Not to mention the 450,000 tulips!

OK, back to the run. Well, we got our miles in... we lapped the entire lake! It was a lot of fun, the weather was perfect, and I've got the first sunburn of the season to prove it! It was just awesome to get out...

Now, for each of you, you're homework assignment is to do the same - GO OUTDOORS and enjoy the season of Spring. Don't miss this opportunity!

Just think... you won't have another one for an entire year!

No comments:

Post a Comment