Thursday, March 12, 2009

What a Great Day!!!

I'll be honest - I had a very hard time concentrating at work today. Especially after 1:00 PM...

You see, my Baylor Bears had just beaten the 11th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks in the Big 12 Tournament! Not only was KU ranked, they were the #1 seed in the tourney (we are 9th out of 12)!

It was a stunning victory! Immediately it became the number one sports story of the day, especially given that "March Madness" is about to begin and KU is the defending National Champion!

If you're interested in seeing the rest of the story, check out CBS. By the way, that picture over there is the lead story on the CBS' website with the title, "KU KO'd!"

As if that weren't enough to get me going, I returned to the gym tonight. This was my first workout at the gym since my credit cards were stolen almost 2 weeks ago.

Below I wrote about how my runs are about to get a bit tougher... but I had no idea how difficult they would be just to fit into my schedule!

Yesterday was one of those days at work where everything seemed to go wrong... basically, putting out a bunch of fires. By the time I got home, it was after 7pm. It had rained cats and dogs on me going into work, and Mother Nature decided on a repeat performance in the evening. Given my day, and the time, I just decided to stay in... and push my workout to Thursday (tonight).

So, now you're caught up...

As I walked into the gym, I wasn't sure how things would go. It was another "member appreciation night," so there were a few tables set up with the local eateries hawking their food. Ahh... temptation... that's just what I want in the gym.

I headed upstairs and decided to forgo the other machines and just focus on the treadmill. I had 5 miles tonight. Sheesh! Remember when I first ran 5 miles? It was Super Bowl Sunday... that seems like forever ago!

After walking for a bit, I started a slow jog. The first mile was actually a piece of cake. I was parked right in front of the TV that was showing ESPN... and they were talkin' "Baylor Basketball!" Whoo Hoo!

That pumped me up... I kept increasing the speed as the miles were reached. After 3, I was feeling pretty good. "Should I take a break for water?" Nah... I just kept going. By 4 I was cooking with gas. After 5, I was doing great!

Maybe it was the sensation of knowing my team pulled out a great upset and I could take part in that by running/watching the highlights (and all of the talk!). Maybe it was my first trip back to the gym. Or maybe it was the fact that 5 miles is becoming more and more like 3 miles to me... a nice, manageable run...

But whatever the case, I feel great tonight! I burned over 850 calories, ran 5 miles, walked almost another mile, and I'm ready for my next run!

Heck... maybe my Bears will keep on rollin' and beat UT tomorrow night in the Semi-Finals? Just THINK what it'll be like when I'm running my 4!

(That's just crazy-talk!)

No comments:

Post a Comment