Thursday, January 1, 2009

"Feelin' Fine in '09"...

Happy New Year!!!

One of my running partners gave me the inspiration for the "Feelin' Fine in '09" title. To me, that just says SO much about the hope for the new year!

Knowing what lies ahead, it challenges me to have a good attitude throughout the training regimen and all of the rigors my body (and mind!) will face this year.

You see, half the battle (if not more) is mental when you set out to train for specific goals. And when that goal is to run in a race, you have to have the proper mindset.

I was reminded yesterday by my friend Brent (who lives in Austin) that I allowed a bit of grumpiness towards running to come through when I trained in 2007. Perception is everything, isn't it? You see, I enjoy running... but if I don't express that consistently, specifically to a friend who I don't see often yet follows my blog, then I can see how sometimes negativity comes through the message.

Training for something like this is very hard. However, attitude is everything. And if I want to encourage others to shoot for their goals, then I myself should take on a good attitude... one that will also help me when I have to push my way past the difficult trials.

But will I neglect to be "real" in all of this? Absolutely not. I want future runners (or those that are going along for the ride with me in this) to know what I'm experiencing.

As you know, I started this journey on Monday. For the past three days, I have ventured out to the gym. So far, I've run/walked on the treadmill almost 8 miles and added an additional 4 miles on the elliptical machine. I've also added weight lifting to my training.

Want to know how I "really" feel right now? SORE! Very, very SORE!

But, it's a good feeling. I'm doing something and shooting to accomplish goals and aspirations this year. Changing from being a sedentary slug to a man in motion will be rough at the beginning. That's expected. However, I know with continued effort these muscles won't hurt as much... and only with a good attitude will I be able to continue to press through these initial aches.

So yes, I'm looking forward to continually improving and of course, "feelin' fine in '09!"

No comments:

Post a Comment