Saturday, January 31, 2009

I've Had a Revelation...

So the other day I'm taking my usual DART train to work. However, this was a very "unusual" morning: The train was packed. For some crazy reason, DART had problems and only sent a 1-car train instead of the usual 2-car.

And wouldn't you know it, I was sitting next to "Chatty Cathy." Only, this was a dude.

He started off asking me what stop I would be departing the train from... which I promptly informed him because he was sitting on the aisle. He then started asking questions about the crowd, the train, and pretty much anything else he could think of. What a joyful ride I was about to embark upon...

(I'm not very talkative in the mornings...)

Fortunately, he struck up a conversation with a lady standing next to him in the aisle. Why he didn't offer her the seat, I haven't a clue... but they talked and talked and talked. I know all about both of his kids, her ex husband, and all about the state of Indiana - especially Indiana University. Good grief, I finally had to put my book up because I couldn't concentrate on it.

As frustrated as I was, the woman actually made a comment that caused to me think: "You gotta have at least one hobby. Life can't be all about work. Everyone needs a hobby to have something 'extra' in life."

Then I thought about it: Is running my hobby? Or, more specifically, "being physically active?" What exactly is a hobby?

Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Well, today at the gym, I thought about that definition a lot. Am I enjoying this? Am I engaging in something that makes me feel good? Is it fun/exciting/worthwhile/etc?

YES!

Today I pursued my hobby by running 3 miles on the treadmill, 1.5 miles on the Crossramp, and 2 miles on the elliptical. I worked out with weights, burned over 900 calories, and spent almost 2 hours at the gym.

It was fun. It was exciting. It was enjoyable.

This is my hobby...

No comments:

Post a Comment