Tuesday, January 27, 2009

5 Ways to Stick to Your Goal...

I have been following a "theme" this year: "Feelin' Fine in 09'!" So far, so good. I've worked hard to make changes in my life to "feel better." I knew it would encompass two biggies: Diet and Exercise... the gruesome twosome to just about everyone reading this blog!

As most of you know, I ran a heck of a lot in 2007 with the goal of running in the Chicago Marathon. Miles and miles I went... Along the way, I made choices to eat better and to stay healthier. It worked. I don't recall being sick that year, and I lost a bit of weight.

As the year went on, my running continued but my eating habits didn't adapt. My weight stagnated... it was still an accomplishment, but not exactly what I envisioned at the start of the year.

Having taken the year off (2008), I gained it all back. And then some... yikes!

This year, it's time to really make some changes! You see, I think we all can make simple changes in our lives that will make a difference.

For example, I know I need to increase my vegetable in-take. One way I do this is to drink a glass of V8 juice every morning. It's my first beverage of the day. I know the antioxidents in that glass are also helping me out. I also try to eat a serving of vegetables each day. It's tough... but it's better than NOT eating veggies!

How about juice? I know that cranberry juice is really good for you (antioxidents). I've been drinking a glass of Ocean Spray LITE (40 calories) each day when I return from work. It's very refreshing!

During these cold evenings, I drink several cups of hot tea. Do you ever read the fitness tips on the right of this blog? This is the latest: Daily consumption of tea will improve your overall health. Choose from the many varieties of tea- black, white, green, red, and herbal for the maximum benefit.

I'm also eating smaller portions. I've heard to try and eat about the size of your fist... so I've mentally tried to make that happen. Several of my friends have noticed... or that I've skipped certain sides (french fries). It's just part of the process.

There is a method to all of this madness. It's something I read in Runner's World: "5 Ways to Stick to Your Goal." (This could apply to any goal);
  1. Be Specific: "Run Faster" or "Lose Weight" can be too vague. Set measurable targets like "losing 5 lbs. in 2 weeks" or "10 lbs. by ___ date."
  2. ...But Realistic: Overzealous goals lead to frustration; easy ones are boring. Aim to cut five minutes off your marathn time instead of 20 - you'll stay motivated without setting yourself up for disappointment.
  3. Give Yourself a Deadline: The lack of a set end point will lead to procrastination. Pick a race, register for it, and put it on your calendar.
  4. Keep Track: On low-motivation days, review your training log to reaffirm your progress.
  5. Make it Public: Tell your friends and family exactly what you plan to do - you'll think twice about skimping on your training if it's not a secret.

So, how do you think I'm doing? I had a goal to lose 10 lbs. in 1 month and I'm very close - losing 9 lbs. so far. I am publicly sharing this information with each of you so that you'll keep me going (and accountable). And, I have registered (along with Chandra and Jason) for the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. That is the picture above. We're running the half marathon on April 26... 13.1 miles. It should be challenging!

Thanks again for reading my blog, but my big hope is that each of you are setting personal goals for this year yourself! And remember, make it public!

No comments:

Post a Comment