Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The BIGGEST Loser...

As if I need another TV show to watch, I found one that I seem to relate to... it's called The Biggest Loser and it's on NBC on Tuesday nights.

I had seen it on for the past few years, but never gave it a shot. I just figured - "OK, so people are losing weight. Is that all?" Well, it's actually a lot more than that.

As one who is going through some personal goals, I'm identifying with their struggles and achievements. I think a lot of people just think, "Go work out and you'll lose the weight." However, it's a lot more than that.

This is a mental challenge... which is much more difficult than a physical one. The individual needs to have a personal "drive" that will get them to the gym on that cold morning or after that hard day at work. I'm speaking to all of us... if you're expecting to achieve your goals, you have to want it.

The contestants on this show deal with adversity - they face temptations just like the rest of us. You can see the wheels turning as they decide, "Do I really want to eat that?" It's the same thing in the reality of life - "Do I really want to eat that? Do I really want to skip this workout? What will the cost really be?"

In the end, after a week of making correct choices in their eating habits and working out in the gym, they must face the scale. The 2 that lost the least amount (percentage) of weight are faced with a vote by the other contestants. It's emotional for most, but they have to get down to "The Biggest Loser" at the end of the season.

And I guess that it hit me tonight - that's me. While I want to be "the biggest loser" in my own weight-loss goals, I want to be "the biggest winner" in everything else! I want to run 5 miles... 10 miles... I want to run that Half Marathon in April. I I have big dreams, as most of you know. I'm enjoying the process to making those dreams a reality, and that's a huge step. But I can't wait to see the results at the end of the year.

I say all of that because today I faced my own scale. After a week of working out, running, and eating better, I've lost another 2 lbs. So far, in 3 weeks, I've lost a total of 7 pounds.

I'm on my way.... I'm on my way....

No comments:

Post a Comment