Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lots of Cross Training...

One of my goals throughout my training routine is to "cross train." Some people may define this as participating in other sports, such as biking, swimming, racquetball, etc. However, for my definition, I'll just say "doing other things besides running."

When I go to the gym, I like to mix things up. I believe this will help me become a better runner in the long run. Particularly, when it comes to that time late in the race where I'm "hitting the wall."

It struck me today - 2 weeks. Yep, I've been a "gym rat" for the past 2 weeks. How are things going? Well, so far... so good. Remember, "I'm Feelin' Fine in 09!"

OK, seriously, I can tell that it's beginning to make a difference. From having difficulty running half a mile in the beginning, I am now a 3-mile runner. My goal for next Sunday is to run 4 miles.

My arms are feeling a bit tighter, too. The weightlifting has assisted that, as well as the added soreness. Ha! And my clothes? Yes... they are starting to fit a little better. WHOO HOO!!!

I bring all of this up because I believe a lot of this is due to my cross training. I'm not just running... pounding out the miles and then leaving the gym. I have "training" to do when I go to the gym... and it's a great "exhaustive" feeling when I leave. The past two days, I've spent about 2 hours each session there.

Yesterday, I went to the gym and started out going 30 minutes on the Crossramp (see picture). Have you ever been on one of those? It's like a StairMaster and an Elliptical machine combined into one. It has a program that will work all types of muscles from your butt to your calves... and let me tell you, it is a killer! I'm drenched in sweat - burning about 300 calories during that time. I'd love to go longer, but I know I have other muscles to work.

So after that, I went downstairs and worked out on several machines. Yesterday I worked my arms and chest. After about 25 minutes, I headed back upstairs and ran my 2 miles for that day. Lots of calories burned... great workout!

Today was a bit different. I woke up sore, walking around my house like an old man. But, by the time I was ready to head to the gym, I was a bit more limber. I started out biking for 1 mile because I wanted to warmup first, then headed over to the treadmill. After running 3 miles and walking a half mile, I decided to hit the elliptical.

Well, the elliptical machines I typically use were all occupied. I found this new one in a different section and decided to give it a run. I only wanted to do 1 mile... just to loosen up from the miles of running I had just completed. Well, this one was something else. It would bark out orders (written) on the screen to make you keep up. However, that wasn't the worst. Three-quarters of a mile into it, a message came on that the machine was about to stop and that I would be going in reverse. Huh???

Yep... and that's exactly what it did. So for the next two-tenths of a mile, I'm pedaling backwards. Immediately my heart beat went up and the sweat start gushing from my head. Holy cow it was difficult... and amazing at the same time! I loved it!

I then went down and found more machines to work on, then headed back upstairs to finish on that Crossramp (1 mile).

So tonight, I sit here feeling great... as well as sore, several aches, and a few difficulties with my knee. But I'm doing it... 2 weeks and I'm STILL doing it. I enjoy the running, but I totally feel the cross training is going to help me in ways I may never appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment