Friday, January 2, 2009

Runners Live Longer, Healthier Lives...

So on Wednesday, I'm at the gym... sweating like a pig and trying my best to control my breathing. This was "Day 3" in my journey, and I was feeling every bit my age... and the neglect I've given my body over the past year.

As most of you know, there are TVs that hang from the ceiling right in front of the treadmills, elliptical machines, stair masters, etc. You can listen to them if you tune into the right FM frequency. However, I just listen to my iPod and typically watch the screen in front of me - usually sports.

Well, low and behold, the TV that was tuned to CNN was running a report regarding runners. For the next several minutes, I "read" the close captioning to try and determine what they were discussing.

A recent study from Stanford University said that runners live longer, healthier lives. Hmm... it definitely grabbed my attention... and interest!

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who is CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent, discussed this story and how the study was carried out over two decades. The researchers found out numerous benefits, and I think if some of you are interested in running you might want to take a gander at the link I'll provide below.

But if you're NOT a runner, that's OK. I think if we can all find our "exercise niche," we'll all live healthier lives.

Here is the Link to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment