Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday's Update...

Sorry for the gruesome picture... but it plays well in today's update.

I guess everyone knows I've been in a lot of pain since Friday night. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say it's been a steady 7 with moments up to 8 or 9.

Misery...

This has been frustrating because I had no idea I'd be dealing with all of this after the surgery. I really thought it was going to be fairly simple and I'd be driving in a day or 2 after the operation.

I've also been amazed at how little I can move. It's incredibly difficult to get to the bathroom, or to the kitchen, or to wherever. I haven't left the house since Wednesday, until today.

Mom and Tanner showed up around 8:15 and picked us up. We got to Dr. Ramsey's office around 8:40, and were called back around 9:10. I wanted Mom in there with me to hear what he had to say - these pills still make me loopy.

Dr. Ramsey's PA seemed a little "matter-of-fact" when I told him I was in a lot of pain. "Well, that's to be expected since you had a lateral release." Mom asked him what that was, and he said the Dr. would explain everything. He then said, "And you're scheduled for PT today, right?" I said yes...

Then Dr. Ramsey's nurse came in to ask a few questions, and then Dr. Ramsey. He asked how I was doing and I said I'm feeling considerable pain. He wanted to know if I was doing my exercises, and I said, "I was doing them Wed, Thurs, Friday, but by Saturday I couldn't lift my leg."

He then had me lock my knee/leg and try and lift... no success. He told me to try again and this time he helped me... but then he let go and a pain that could only be described as "HOLY CRAP" shot up my leg and I came up off that table!

He immediately turned around and told my mom she needed to leave the room. I knew there was a problem...

They unwrapped the leg and my knee looked like a VERY large grapefruit. I could see various stitches in different places of the knee, but I couldn't get over the size of it. Then I saw it was bleeding out the side.

Dr. Ramsey said that it was filled with blood/fluid and he needed to get it out. Meaning... right now. So his nurse iced my knee with an ice cube for the next few minutes, and then he came in with the needle.

Good gosh... have you ever had the pleasure of a needle going into your knee? It's such a fun experience. Not only is he drawing the blood out, he's moving it around...

I laid on that table sweating like a pig and his nurse kept reminding me, "Breathe... breathe..." Man... that pain was intense. All the while I'm thinking, "Good gravy! What else can happen with this freakin' knee?"

Well, my question would be answered shortly.

He finished up and they re-wrapped the knee. He said he removed 40 cc's of blood and fluid, and that means there is a problem. But, removing that amount should help my strength and pain level.

He then had me try and lift the leg again... this time, success. He said I need to cancel my physical therapy sessions this week and he left to go get my mom.

Here comes the "Bad News" train...

The bleeding in the knee is a concern. He said he did a lot of cutting during surgery, and that he tried to cotterize everything but it's obvious I haven't completely clotted. He wants to see me on Thursday morning. Early. If I'm still bleeding like this, he's going to have to go in again. Meaning... another surgery.

Unbelieveable...

He then explained that a lateral release means he made a cut about 2-3 inches inside the knee to release the kneecap from the side of the knee. He also said he removed several sutures. But he said that we'll talk more about that later... he could tell I was fading.

So I go back to see him Thursday morning... I've canceled my 3 PT sessions this week... and right now I'm laying on my couch exhausted from the experience.

My sister is driving up from Houston tomorrow to stay with me for a few days... Carson will stay one more night.

Ok... I'm heading towards a nap. Just wanted to give everyone the latest and not-so-greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment