Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Ice Man Commeth...

As you all know, I'm not able to do this on my own. I need help... which comes in the form of my nephew, Carson.

Over the past few days, I think we've really bonded as "Uncle/Nephew." He's been extremely helpful and conscientious, always checking on me.

In fact, the kid's got some sort of freaky "radar" hearing - I start to move a muscle and he calls out from the other room, "Do you need something Uncle Regan?"

OK, so on Thursday morning he comes into my room with the paper. "How did you sleep Uncle Regan?" I think he was expecting a positive answer... instead, I gave him the truth. "I didn't sleep well being hooked up to this gizmo, and the ice melted about halfway through the night."

That appeared to shock him - he went over and was astonished that the ice machine was only filled with water.

This bit of news also lit a fire under the youngster - he left the room while I finished up my paper. I heard "noises" coming from the kitchen, but I figured he was making himself something to eat.

About 20 minutes later he comes in, "Uncle Regan, I have filled up 10 containers (tupperware) with water and stuck them in the freezer." He then said, "I'm going to make sure we don't run out of ice again!"

He left the room and a while later he informs me that he's increased the number of containers to 25. Then he said, "I sure am glad you have all of these refrigerators Uncle Regan." Which then led to, "WHY do you have all of these refrigerators?" :-)

So for the past few days, Carson's number one concern is to check my ice machine. He packs that sucker with all shapes and forms of ice. He fills it with ice cubes, ice packs, and ice blocks.

There are times I look at it and it's so full I say, "There is no way you're going to get that lid closed," which he then says, "I LOVE to pack things Uncle Regan. I'll make it fit."

Anyhoo, our routine is this: Each morning he comes into my room and carries the machine to the kitchen to re-pack. Once I'm situated on the couch, he comes over with the frozen concoction and I hook myself up. Which he stays next to me because he wants to see the "relief" when the frozen water pumps into that pack on my knee. (It's amazingly refreshing!)

Every few hours, we go through that process again. He empties out the water, adds more ice, and waits by my side to see the reaction.

I'm going to miss Dr. Freeze when he leaves... but it will be nice to get the space back from my freezers!

No comments:

Post a Comment