Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Answering Questions...

... and we all know how much I enjoy answering questions. :-)

OK... here we go...

What is your current blood pressure?

It's running around 140/95 to 130/87. My doctor said it's better to get it more normalized as it makes the anesthesia more effective.

I've been working with my regular doctor to bring it down. Prior to the knee issue, and way before I was running, I had very high blood pressure. Seriously high... like 170/110. For the past few years, I've taken medication and exercised. Well, guess what has been eliminated from that equation? So because of being stagnant due to a crappy knee, I haven't been exercising.

Now that I know why the knee is hurting, my hope/goal is to get back into "mobility" after it gets fixed up. Meaning... go back to a normal life!

I just had no idea that the high blood pressure would be an issue and could prevent me from having the surgery (see picture) next week.

I'm going to see my regular doctor on Friday. If she doesn't feel comfortable with my BP level, then I'll need to reschedule the surgery. That will really bum me out.

You're still feeling pain? I had no idea...

Yes... frustratingly, absolutely and emphatically yes! This was posed to me today after someone found out that I'm scheduled for surgery. They followed it up with, "But you must be hiding it because you don't look like you're in pain."

Well, who wants to see someone grimacing... whining... or complaining all of the time? If you've been following this blog for a while, you remember I mentioned one time that I have a "strut." That helps me to try and prepare for the pain I know is going to occur when that foot hits the floor.

Here's my "pain" description. When I stand up... walk... even bend the leg with the foot pulled in... everything tightens up. I don't have any cushion between my bones. It's worse when I'm walking... it's a compressed grind. When I put my foot down, everything goes together. This pain is the top of the knee to about the middle of the knee. From what Dr. Ramsey showed me, this will always be a part of my life. That's why I need to take glucosomene to help build up protection/shock absorption around my joints (i.e. knee).

Now, there is another area of pain: Interior. This is where the meniscus is torn... possibly shredded. Every step down feels like it's being poked. Once he goes in and mends the tear, that pain should go away.

The third area (yes, there is a third) is on the exterior. It aches. I think it's because I'm over-compensating to the outside now that I know there is a tear on the interior. Kendra, the physical therapist, thinks it may be that or it may be another tear on the lateral meniscus. Hopefully by the end of the surgery, this will be alleviated.

So, if you look at it from this perspective, I'm hoping for a 2/3 improvement. Right now, it just hurts like a mutha... all the live long day.

Oh, and one more thing: Dr. Ramsey asked me to stop taking Alleve and Advil until after the surgery. Anti-inflamatories don't work well when he's got to go in and poke around. Let's just say it hasn't been a very fun day... and this is going to be one long week.

Is this a Day Surgery?

You bet. While I don't know the time, I expect to be heading home a few hours later. Maybe this time the doctor will stick around and answer any questions my parents have. Ok, I know he will. He knows my parents...

Are you staying at your parent's house?

No. I really just want to be at my place, sleep in my own bed, and keep the A/C at a temp that is comfortable for me. Sounds selfish, but hey... that's my attitude after two surgeries.

The plan as of now is for Joel to come pick me up and take me to the hospital. He may or may not stay - he's having his own surgery (hand) the day before. (When it rains it pours... poor Mom) I think she'll be there when I get out and drive me back to my house.

Now instead of being alone, my nephew Carson will stay with me that day/night. I hope he brings something to entertain him because I know I won't be very fun to be around.

Can you put me on the list to be notified?

Sure. Send me an email if you want to be notified. I'll either send out an email at some point in the day or just update the blog... or both... not sure what my frame of mind will be.

So that's about it. Pray for my blood pressure to come down. Pray for the pain to be bearable this week before the surgery. And I guess overall, just keep me in your thoughts as I try to keep a positive attitude through all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment