Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sore Knee...

At least once a week, or several times a day, someone asks me the question, "How's the knee?"

I guess that's par for the course when just about everyone I work with knows the story.

Yeah, I'm the guy who had 2 kneecaps at one point... one blasted into his lower thigh, the other someplace else.

Well, to answer the question today, I would say, "It hurts. It hurts a lot."

I think I've been trying to do a little too much on it. I've gone up and down stairs... several times today... and I've done a bit of walking in the past 2 days...

I guess I keep forgetting that everytime I do something, it's causing a bit of "trauma" on the joint. It swells. It aches. It hurts.

Around 3 PM, it was brutal. But I couldn't leave because I had a few meetings this afternoon.

When I finally left, I knew there was a problem. I was limping... which has been greatly reduced in the past few days. However, moving from my building to the train station was a major effort.

I was glad to get on the train. However, once I made it to my end station, I had to do the "limp" all over again.

Once I got home, I was done. The knee had enough... there was nothing left in the tank. Just walking around my house has been a struggle tonight.

It's swollen pretty good... probably the most I've seen in quite some time. Again, I know what caused this... I did too much in the past few days. Lots of ice and Alleve tonight...

Tomorrow I'm working from home... so that should do wonders for the knee. Not a lot of movement anticipated in my daily activities.

So, there you go. The knee hurts a lot tonight... but I'm sure it'll be better after a day of rest.

I have a new appreciation for people who go through something like this. It sucks. Plain and simple, it sucks. Unless you know what it's like, I can't really "effectively" describe what it's like to walk around with metal wires in your knee. It's a foreign object... it's not normal. I know it's there for my good, but it's a major hindrance. Each day is a new adventure...

Let's say everyday you wake up and someone whacks you on the knee with a hammer... maybe that's my best description of how my day goes. It's not fun. It's not glamorous. It is what it is...

Damn I'll be glad when all of this is over...

No comments:

Post a Comment