Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Cost of Health Care...

Do you know how much it costs to fix a knee? A lot more than you'd expect...

My injury occurred on April 26th. Since then, I have kept the postal service employed with numerous bills and letters being sent my way...

Thank the Good Lord I have insurance. I couldn't imagine having to deal with this problem AND fork out the dough needed to pay for everything. I really don't know how people do it...

My first inclination of the high prices for health care came when I received my first bill: Ambulance. They billed me $1172. It was $1100 to transport me, and the extra $72 was for the gas. I'm serious. It's on the bill - and we only traveled 9 miles. Insurance paid for about 90% of that charge...

Since then, I've received bills from the hospital in Oklahoma City, the X-Ray technician in OKC, the anesthesiologist here in Dallas, the X-Ray technician here in Dallas, my surgeon, and the hospital here in Dallas.

Each bill I receive, I just kick it back and tell them to deal with my insurance. It's amazing... you'll get three bills from the same person in a 2-week span and the "amount owed" just continues to go down. For some odd reason, the insurance company has this odd payment schedule... not sure why they don't just pay it and get it over with, but hey... they're the ones with the big bucks, right?

So... take a guess. How much do you think I've spent this year on my knee? $10,000? $20,000? $30,000? (If you were watching me right now, I'd be giving you the "thumbs up" signal)

Well friends and family, I'm the proud owner of a $40,000 knee. Amazing, huh? And that's just what has been spent so far! Remember, I still have another surgery in November/December!

It's incredible to read the bill... $12,000 for the surgery, $3,500 for me to stay in the "Recovery Room" for 1 hour, $4,800 for the hospital, $1,100 for the brace, etc.

Someone said that they charge so much because there are so many that can't afford medical care. Hmm... makes sense I guess. Like I've heard, we pay for everyone's health care anyway...
maybe we do need reform.

Of that, I've probably spent about $1,500 out of pocket. A drop in the bucket, but still not money I wanted to spend this year...

So I started thinking, "What could I have purchased for $40,000 this year?" Well, that boat in the picture is selling for $24k in League City, TX used... guess I could use the remainder on a slip rental. What am I saying? I don't see myself skiing in the near future!

Luxury cars usually start in the low 40s. Even a Chevy Tahoe starts around $39,000.

I could deck my house out with all new appliances, flooring, etc. - and still have money left to burn!

Just what in the world would you do with $40,000 to spend?

I'm sure it wouldn't be on a brand new knee! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment