Saturday, August 15, 2009

Serious Texas BBQ...

In today's Dallas Morning News, there is an article about a regular guy named Daniel Vaughn who started a blog to cover one of his passions...

"Texas Barbecue..."

It's an interesting story. He grew up in Ohio and never knew there were variations of BBQ. Well, I grew up in Texas and have always thought our BBQ was the norm... little did I know different parts of the country do things just a bit differently. Blech!

Given that I'm a Texan through and through, I found his idea compelling - "Rate all of the BBQ joints in Texas so that others won't waste their time or money eating bad BBQ."

Here's a snippet:

When Vaughn, a.k.a. "BBQ Snob," isn't designing environmentally friendly buildings, he is searching for the best smoked meat in Texas. His blog, Full Custom Gospel BBQ, rates barbecue joints throughout the state based on a six-star rating system – one star meaning "don't bother," and six stars advising the reader to "reconsider your honeymoon destination."

He doesn't really consider himself a critic, though. "I see myself as a consumer advocate more than anything," he says. "I just tell people where the good stuff is."


He and a buddy have been scouting BBQ joints around the state since 2006. Sometimes they hit up to 16 in a weekend! His arteries must be pumping some thick sauce by now! Good gravy!!! (Literally!!!)

Well, if you're interested in reading the story, here it is: Link

But if you'd like to follow another blog... one that will definitely make your mouth water, I'd recommend checking his out. He has not only organized his visits by region, but also by city. I've read a few and I just drool! It may make you want to take a drive to check out one near (or not-s0-near) your home! Definitely something to keep in mind on your next road trip...

Here is the link to his blog: Link

No comments:

Post a Comment