Thursday, April 23, 2009

Let's Marathon!

If you go to the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon's website, you'll see the phrase "Let's Marathon!" With just days away until I join thousands as we run through the city, I guess that's appropriate. There's not much else we can do... the time has come. "Let's Marathon!"

After running my 10-miler on Sunday, I've tapered back big-time this week. Last night I ran 3 miles through the neighborhood. It wasn't fun due to the continued problems with my right leg. But hey... nothing is going to stop me at this point.

As I was running, I thought about the last 4 months. Man, I've come a long way since December 29. If this is your first time to read this blog, it was started with my first entry entitled, "And So It Begins. I felt that was the perfect title to capture not only where I was at... but where I was going. I knew I had a long Long LONG road ahead of me!

Miles and miles, actually. I've run on treadmills, streets, sidewalks, across bridges, up spillways, and on various paths. I've run from dogs, avoided kids, stepped on rocks, and lept over puddles, dead snakes, and animal excrement. "Uh, that was from an animal... right???"

I've cross-trained throughout this journey, too. I'm a walker, biker, cross-ramper, and ellipticaler... if that even is a word. In essence, I'm a "mover" in the most basic form. Isn't that the fundamental principal of exercise? Just get moving...

My overall goal this year is to drop 50 lbs. So far, I'm down 20. It hasn't been through just exercise alone... DIET is a key. And it really hasn't been a "diet," but rather choosing "healthier" options.

Do I really need to eat that super-sized meal? Do I really need to stuff that burger, french fries, and whatever else into my pie hole? Why not add more fruits and vegetables to my meals? Why not lessen the portions a tad? It really hasn't been that difficult... just adding more "control" to what I'm putting in.

For those that have been following this "journey" with me, thanks for coming along. Your support and encouragement has been incredible. I think about each of you while I run... honestly. I know you'll be asking me about how "the run" went after each training regimen, so I've tried to be as honest and open throughout all of this.

Because of that, I know I'm not running alone. We're all running on Sunday. I'm taking you with me... we're lacing up our shoes, stretching our sore muscles, and waiting in that corral with all of the other runners anticipating the starting gun. We've got 13.1 miles ahead of us...

Let's Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment