Thursday, April 16, 2009

Back to the Basics...

In just over one week, I'll be running in a Half Marathon. Specifically, the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. Am I nervous? Anxious? Scared to death?

Uh... "Yes" doesn't really do that justice...!!!

I've had a pretty good experience running this year... at least for the first 3 months. But this past month has been miserable. Injuries can do that, I guess...

Tonight I decided to just keep it simple ("Stupid!") and run a 4. I'm pretty comfortable running a 4... I know the route, I know what to expect, and it's fairly manageable.

Starting out, streaks of pain shot up and down my leg. I think I've described this to some, but it's as if I've been hit with a hammer on my shin... and when I put weight on it, I feel it from my ankles to my knees.

After the first mile, I just figured I needed to find a way to get used to it. After 2, I was cramping and I had to walk... and I knew this would come back to haunt me. When I started back up, my leg let me know it wasn't happy with me... AT ALL!

Running the next half mile, I figured this was it. I would just have to quit. But, instead of turning left on a street that would take me home... I turned right. Turning right meant going up a hill!

I ran that hill and finished up my 4. I was really happy to finish, and so was my leg!

Now when I returned, I decided to join a site called Motion Based. They are owned by Garmin, and one day that site will be incorporated into the new Garmin Connect.

So here is my experiment. I want to share with you the maps/data of my run. Click this link and see what you think... and see for yourself what a 4-miler looks like:

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment