Tuesday, August 3, 2010

More Physical Therapy...

Today was my 2nd PT session since the surgery. Had I not had the complications, this would have been my 4th.

Going into it, I wasn't exactly sure what Kendra's feedback would be. I've been feeling very sore lately. However, I've been working my tail off trying to regain everything that I've lost.

As you know, Kendra assigned me homework. One thing I learned is that PT is not just when you go to your session. It's "all the time." She told me before that this is my full-time job right now. Well... that's just about right.

The sessions are for her to see if I'm progressing, and what needs to be adjusted. The real work is what I do on my own between the sessions. This means I typically have a workout in the morning and two workouts in the afternoon.

So if I just educated you on what physical therapy is all about, then I figured I need to explain what the "routine" is really like.

A session typically goes like this:

I get up on the table and Kendra does a quick inquiry as to how things are going, any problems I'm encountering, and asking what my pain level is like. She also asks me to unwrap the leg so she can see the knee and how it's healing.

Physical Therapy, at least what I'm going through, is a lot of stretching. It's terrible and awesome all wrapped up together - terribly painful but it makes me feel so good.

The first stretch is called "Bridging." This is the one where I lie on my back with my heel resting on this foam "thing" for 10 minutes. It's supposed to stretch/align my muscles via gravity. By minute 7, it's really painful.

I next go through 3 sets of hamstring stretches where I push my knee down for 30 seconds and lean forward. That feels really good.

The other stretch I do is gastroc stretches - I'm given a dog leash and wrap it around my foot. I then lean forward and pull. 3 sets at 30 seconds each.

Then Kendra hooks up these electrodes to the top of my quad, which are hooked up to this electronic device. She sets it up where I have to flex for 5 seconds/relax for 3 seconds... and when I'm flexing this digital bar goes up. My goal is to try and keep it at a high level in the green. I do 45 reps, but when I'm home I don't have the machine so I just have to time it for 5 minutes.

Next comes the leg raises. Lying on my back, and with the device still hooked up to my leg, I have 45 reps where I'm lifting for 5 seconds/relaxing for 3. Again, I'm watching that meter to keep it flexed above a certain level. Today, Kendra commented that I'm doing a really good job and that she can tell I've been working hard at home.

Heel slides (see picture above) are next. I can't tell you how much I hate these. They hurt like a mutha. For 5 minutes, I'm pulling with the dog leash my heel as far as I can... holding for 3 seconds... and then pushing it back. Once it's stretched back flat, I have to flex my quad/lock the knee... then repeat. Seriously... these are the worst!

My next exercise is "cone walking." This is where I walk over little cones to train my leg to pick up my foot from the toe and land back on the heel... then lock the knee. After two laps with one crutch, Kendra came over and said, "Let me see that crutch." Once I gave it to her, she then said, "OK... let's see how it goes without the crutch."

Well, this was pretty dang awkward. I started walking with my hands out to maintain my balance. She said that was normal and that I need to learn how to adjust... so whatever helps me is fine. I went down and back twice and she said, "I want you to try and not use a crutch while you're in your home... but you should use it when you're out and about."

So, that's pretty good news I think. I don't think she'd push me more than what I can handle, and she must see that I'm progressing enough to get to this point. Amazing to think that less than a week ago I was struggling just to hang onto my walker.

Kendra then told me to follow her and we headed to the bike. This was a big moment - I really was interested to see what the "rotation" would feel like.

She wanted me to ride for 10 minutes... if you remember, prior to the surgery I could only go about 8 minutes and I was in a lot of pain. PRIOR TO SURGERY...

My first few cycles weren't very good... it locked on the first time around. Not a good sign. We then made a few adjustments, and I was then able to go around (very slowly) without it locking/stopping.

Kendra assured me that the goal for today was not speed (thank goodness!) but rotation. She wanted me to get the feel of going round and round. Well, my cadence was extremely slow... about 25 RPM. That's insanely slow, but I was just glad to be doing something... you know?

Anyway, I made it 10 minutes and the knee wasn't killing me. That really made my day. After I got off the bike, I was finished. I go back on Thursday.

My "homework" is to do two more workout sessions this afternoon and ride the bike once more tonight (I have a stationary in my house that belongs to my parents).

Anyhoo... there you go. That's what PT is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment