Friday, November 13, 2009

Yesterday's Recap...

I woke up on the couch around 7... not a lot of "late sleeping" when the parents get up at the crack and I'm in a room "without a door" adjacent to the kitchen.

I still felt pretty woozy. The night before wasn't very good in the sleeping department.

Using the walker, I meandered into the kitchen for some breakfast and conversation. My mom had to leave early for work, and Joel was heading out to a doctor's appointment.

I then made my way back to the couch, and stayed put for the next few hours. I also grabbed a nap - hour and a half. It was great!

When I got up, I was still woozy. How do I describe this? It's like a head injury or something... maybe a hangover... it was just incredibly difficult to get my body back to normal. However, I wasn't helping things by taking more pain pills. "Damned if you do...."

Around 1, my folks returned. I ate a sandwich, gave them the morning update, and then decided that I needed another nap. Instead of fighting the constant noises, I made my way upstairs. I think I shocked them, but I can go up stairs taking 1 step at a time (good leg).

After another hour and a half nap, I came back downstairs and was immediately met by Joel... who had A LOT to talk with me about.

First, my truck has been in the shop this week. Well, he had a lot to say about that because they had called. Then he went in to talking with me about his carpel tunnel diagnosis he received today (and is wearing a brace on his wrist). Next, he wanted to talk about football... first it was Texas, and then it was TCU. All of this was in the span of about 10 minutes and right after I had woken up. Even for a person who's not suffering from the surgery side effects, that's a lot to take!

I can always tell when he has a lot on his mind and he's not finished... he'll say something, like "You really should just get a brand new vehicle." Then, he'll pause, and walk away... get about 10 feet... and then turn around with his next sentence. This goes on and on and on... until he's talked out. Given that I can't really escape, well... I'm kinda stuck. Par for the course...

Mom made a great dinner last night - Tilapia, avocado salad, and potatoes au gratin. Plus cobbler dessert. I'm getting treated like a king!

I then just got back on the couch, watched some TV, and went to bed around midnight.

So, what is different/similar this time compared to last time? Well, I have pain... but it's no where NEAR the severity I experienced before. My surgery was on a Wednesday, same as last time. I had to stay in the hospital 2 nights and had a morphine drip on top of the hydrochodone. I would be coming home today if I had the same type of surgery... good gosh!

My pain is just different - it's all on the wound. I can feel it when I move... but it's not too bad. Most of my problems has been the "cloudiness" I feel. I'm also pretty tired... like I've been up about 2 hours, and I'm already for another nap.

Today I had my first shower since Tuesday. Oh how I've missed duct taping a trash bag to my hairy leg. Well, let me clarify.... REMOVING a duct taped bag!

I'm getting out this morning. I'll blog later and tell you what I did... and how I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment