Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dead Man Walking...

It's been exactly one week since my surgery... who would have guessed I'd be feeling this good???

In a short time, I went from using a Walker... to using the crutches... to limping without anything... and now?

Hold onto your judgement hats, but I walked a mile today.

Can you believe it? One week ago, I was 3-sheets to the wind with the powerful drugs in my system... lying on the couch... having to concentrate not to lose my lunch.

And today I walked a mile... amazing. I truly believe I'm here because of prayers, good thoughts, and encouraging words. Thank you... to each of you... for helping me on my "First Mile."

It's ON!!!

I am tired of doing nothing... lolly-gagging around... due to a bum knee. But now? The knee is fixed... and I'm raring to go.

"Don't overdo it..."
"Be careful..."
"Maybe you should talk with your doctor..."

Believe me, I've heard it all. I'm not going to overdo it. If I was, then I would have pushed for another lap around the block or tried a jog. My doctor said that the best way to get my strength back, I will be doing a lot of walking.

To track all of this, I purchased a new APP for my iPhone called "iTreadmill." It's a pedometer... I still need to calibrate it because it was a bit off, but I hope to track my steps throughout the day.

So here is my challenge to each of you: If I can do it, you can do it! Try walking 1 mile a day. It's not that hard. It takes about 15 minutes of your time. Your heart rate will get up, you can listen to music, and it's good for your body.

And who knows... You might lose a little weight. You might reduce some of your stress. And you just might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment