Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Weird Week...

This has been a very strange week...

On Monday, Dr. Rutherford gave me a bit of news (read below) and adjusted my brace.

On Tuesday, I was experiencing a lot of problems. It was extremely difficult to adjust to the added movement. There really is a point of "stoppage" where my knee can't move without pain. So, with this added movement, it hits that point and it hurts a lot.

It's like a door... the hinge on that door allows for a certain amount of movement. However, when you push it further then that hinge allows, it is difficult to move it. That's somewhat what I'm experiencing.

My doctor also has asked me to move around more on my "own" without the assistance of the crutches. I've been very careful... believe you me... I don't want to cause any complications on this recovery. However, given the added movement and the extra weight, I've had multiple times where I've had to catch myself due to my knee buckling.

It's just a very strange feeling. Normally I'm walking along... and then "whoosh" I lose control. So far, I've been able to adjust and not fall... but it's scary!

Last night was a big moment... I went to bed without the brace. My thought is that if in 5 weeks I'm going to be living without this brace for 24 hours a day, why not get rid of the added heat during the night?

One thing I am nervous about is the "movement" that occurs during the night. Have you ever thought about how much you move while you sleep? Imagine if you've got wires in your knee... or, more specifically, a kneecap that is in 2 pieces that is trying to heal

I made sure my bedding is very tight at the foot... otherwise, I could move around a lot. However, I think I knew about this all night long... I actually dreamed about it. A friend of mine said that I probably move less than I did 2 months ago.

That's probably a correct statement. Remember, I went from sleeping on my back with my knee elevated on a couch for a month... to now I'm in a bed and able to roll over onto my stomach.

So we shall see... crazy times. It's nice right now NOT to not have to deal with the brace during the hot summer nights... I just hope it continues to improve.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment