Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tuesdays With Morrie...

A few years ago, a friend of mine gave me a copy of "Tuesdays with Morrie." Have you seen it? Well, I can say that I've seen it... as of tonight.

During the summer, there's not a lot on TV. Lately I've been using my Netflix membership to watch shows and movies. If you're not a member, I highly recommend it... your first 2 weeks are free!

However, tonight I had literally nothing to watch. I had blown through my DVR, and I didn't have anything from Netflix.

Then I remembered... "Tuesdays with Morrie." I went over to my dvds and popped it in.

Morrie is a dying man. He has ALS, but still has "life" within him. Mitch, a successful former student, catches up with him. They do all of this on "Tuesdays" because that was the day Morrie would hold office hours.

What struck me at first was Morrie's diminished physical condition, and how he had to rely upon others to do the simplest of tasks. It really brought back the memories.

I relied on so many people throughout my "recovery." Watching Morrie, I guess we shared that in common...

I guess it started for me in Oklahoma City. One minute, I'm running to the starting line... the next, I'm on the pavement with a deflated knee. Everything changed in that moment...

Throughout my "ordeal," I relied on so many people. I couldn't stand on my own two feet. I needed the paramedics to hold me up as they were loading me onto the gurney.

As much as I wanted to be on my own, I couldn't... I needed help.

One thing I watched tonight was Morrie... and the people that visited him. They looked at him different. His relationships with them had changed - he was being "seen" differently from those around him. That was a big change... and it reminded me of the change I have recently experienced.

Relying on others is a very odd thing... people that looked at you when you were talking with them "out of concern" is an amazing occurrence. You don't want to think that your friendship has changed... or that they think less of you. It's just different.

"Hey, can you pick up my leg for me... it won't budge." And they do it... without effort... or funny faces. You see sympathy... not pity... and that's a good thing. I've been amazed at the lack of jokes. I really thought I'd be the recipient of them. Most people just want to help... and really see the pain (maybe experience some of it) that I've gone through.

So tonight, watching that movie, made me reflect on some of what I've experienced. I hope I've shared this... at least conveyed my appreciation... but if not, here are some of my thoughts...

I lived with Chandra for several days, which I know was a big inconvenience to her. She was amazing... getting me food and water (even when I wasn't requesting it... she just knew), driving me around, picking up my meds, and even helping me lift my leg - which was a huge "need" when you don't have a kneecap. She even adjusted her AC for me - which allowed me to live in comfort while she was covered up in blankets! I remember washing my hair while "standing" at her kitchen sink... even though I hadn't asked her, she stood behind me in case I fell.

I remember the nurses in the hospital... my gosh are they underpaid! They are the backbone of any hospital, and you can write that in 3 inch letters! They helped me beyond belief while I was in that hospital bed. I remember my first "physical therapy" session when I was told to get out of the bed... I couldn't believe the amount of pain I had in the leg as it just moved from "bed to floor." The therapist strapped a belt around me to hold onto my body as we attempted to move... man... it was incredible. I don't think I've ever experienced the amount of pain like I did that first day.

I remember coming home from the hospital. It was such an adjustment, and how hard it was just to move... as in getting up, sitting down, moving with the walker, etc. I needed help on so many occasions. My Mom was my chief helper... lifting the leg, getting me things, serving me, etc. Joel would fill in when she wasn't around. All in all, I never had all of this attention. It was a very humbling experience.

Melissa... you have been an amazing friend to me throughout the 12 years that we've known each other. You were there before the surgery, after the surgery (hospital), and made several visits to see how I was doing. Today I saw the box of the shower seat you bought for me. Little did I know when you brought that to me in the hospital how vital that would be for my recovery... thank you for that and your friendship!

Laura is another friend I'm thinking about... of course you were there when the accident happened. But you showed up and stayed with me in the hospital after my surgery, were there when I got out, and bought the walker that became another appendage to me. I don't know what else I can say other than "Thank You." Your friendship is amazing to me, and I was so happy to walk through the doors yesterday (without my crutches) to the Flying Saucer so you could see my progress.

So tonight, watching this movie, it reminded me of what I've been through... and how far I've progressed. I hope that I can remember the lessons Morrie taught Mitch. Maybe I have already... through the actions of others.

I am truly blessed to have people who care enough to do demonstrate "love" in the littlest things...

I hope each of you can experience that... either through demonstration or reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment