Friday, June 5, 2009

Scar-tastic...

A benefit of showering without the brace? The medical tape/bandages have lost their adhesiveness.

Last night, I opened up the brace to let the knee breathe. Once I did that, I realized the bandages might be coming off.

After a few tense moments of removal, they finally came off. Would you like to know the details?

First off, the scar is 5-6 inches in length. Above the knee, it is very straight and somewhat thin. There is no "scabbing," either.

However, once it makes that turn downward, things start to change.

The scar gets a bit jagged and uneven, and there are some considerable scabs. The width of the scar expands, and you can tell there is more healing needed.

But to me, the most interesting aspect is the texture and shape of it all.

Immediately where the kneecap resides, you can see "pitting." There are some dents where the skin is trying to come together. It's a bumpy mess.

Remember how I'm not allowed to do any Physical Therapy? Well, I have visual evidence of why I shouldn't attempt that: There is a definite sharp rise on the left side of the top of my knee... it appears to be a wire that is pushing upward.

Yikes!

Anyway, all is well... it hurts, but it's manageable. My pain is a mixture of throbbing bones and muscles... but overall, no complaints. You just learn to deal with it.

By the way, I'm off to Stillwater, OK, for a wedding between two good friends this weekend. It will be my first "travel" experience since the accident - I was able to arrange for a handicapped room, so that should be fine.

I am wondering what I'll be thinking as I drive through Oklahoma City, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment