Monday, April 5, 2010

Staycation: Day 1

If you know anything about me, you know that my yard is a "very important" part of my life.

When I broke the knee, things not only went south in that area... but also with my yard.

I was fortunate last year that I planted my garden and fixed up all of my flower beds/patio prior to the kneetastrophe. However... a "good yard" isn't just a one-time fix. It's an ongoing process throughout the year to maintain the hard work that you put in during the spring planting.

Well, I didn't get to do that. Weeds and grass got into the beds, the garden went to hell, and the bushes and trees never got pruned.

I will say this: I did receive some offers for help. However, I just felt terrible to ask someone to come over and pick the weeds while I sat there and watched. I know... my friends would have done this at the drop of the hat and wouldn't have held any ill will. But... I just let it go to...

Which leads to this year... I have taken a week off to "pace myself" while I take care of all of the things that I need to either fix, catch up on, dig, plant, prune, or buy.

Today was Day One...

I stayed up late (midnight... which NEVER happens) and figured I'd sleep until 10 or so. Nope... internal clock and hearing the neighbors leave for work had me up by 8:30. After making my heart attack breakfast, I headed out.

Covington's was on the agenda for the day. I had been to Lowe's and Home Depot over the weekend to look over their plants... but was completely disappointed. Covington's is in Rowlett and is known to have a great selection. Well, they filled the bill perfectly! I bought zinnias, imatiens, potato vines, sage, and 6 tomato plants.

Returning home, I hit it pretty strong... dug up three beds and planted the zinnias and impatiens and covered them with mulch. I also fixed up one large pot and two hanging baskets.

On Saturday I bought two flats of grass plugs... so I planted 18 plugs out of one of the flats on the side of my house.

Besides yardwork... I put out the trash, watered the yard, broke down boxes, put up my umbrella, cleaned off the patio furniture, and now I'm doing laundry.

But you want to know the best part of my day? It was after finishing all of the hard work and sitting on my patio. I broke out one of my cigars... and let's just say it was exactly what I wanted to be doing for the next few hours.

I have so much more to do... but so far, I've made a serious dent in my project list!

The knee? It's sore... the muscles are very sore, too... and I'm a bit sunburned (slightly). But all in all, I feel great! Can't wait to finish it all and show you the pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment