Saturday, February 21, 2009

Working Out is Fun!

Today I hit the gym with a goal to have a very productive workout...

After going through some stretching, I jumped on the crossramp. Typically I set it to "Variety," which includes a gradual buildup in incline and resistance. However, I decided to change it up and put it on "Interval." This particular setting is a bit more difficult... it alternates between easy and difficult, to say the least!

After 12.5 minutes, I had burned 150 calories and completed 1 mile. I was feeling great!

Next up: The Treadmill...

Today I only had 3 miles to run. I knew I couldn't overdo it because tomorrow's run calls for a 6-mile effort. (I'll be honest - I'm a bit nervous about that...)

The miles were actually easy today... I ran them without much effort. Even though I increased the speed each half mile, and worked the incline up to 3% at times, I was able to finish knowing that I had more miles in me. That's a great feeling when you're running! And I burned 550 calories!

I followed that up by walking for a half mile. I'm a big believer in warming up/cooling down. I think it's easier on your body, and it makes the next visits to the gym that much better.

Next, I went downstairs and worked out with the weights. Today was arms - so I went through several machines, then finished with the free weights.

Finally, I went back upstairs for a mile on the elliptical machine. This is the one that I set to "aerobic" because it forces you to pedal backwards at times... and I can't tell you how much that causes me to sweat! I guess that's what happens when you burn 135 calories!

As I left the gym, I was ecstatic! I had completed everything I set out to do today...

You know, I really feel great this year. I am enjoying everything - running, lifting weights, and working out on machines that make the entire experience that much better. I've lost weight and I feel healthier.

But the best part is this: It's fun. As crazy as that sounds, it really is fun. In good times (like today) and bad times, the overall effort is still "insanely" fun to me.

I hope each of you can find your "fun" this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment