Friday, February 27, 2009

Sweet 15!

I was at the gym this week, and I picked up a 15 lb. dumbell. "Hmm... so this is what it feels like."

Well my friends, it took me "just shy" of 2 months, but I did it! I finally dropped 15 lbs!

Whoo Hoo!

I think the first 10 were relatively easy... I did that in the first month. However, these last 5 were brutal!

The biggest hindrance in February was I started enjoying my favorite frothy beverages again. Not so much that I was gaining weight... but enough that I could tell a difference in that the pounds weren't flying off!

While the drop in weight is great, I'm noticing a big difference elsewhere. My "beer face" appears to be diminishing. People keep saying, "I can really see it in your face." Personally, I can see it in my clothes. They fit better and I can pull the waist out a few inches! I'm serious!

I think one thing I've learned this year is "life is about choices." You have to think a little more... be a bit smarter... and decide to do things that you may not have done "in a previous life."

I have to "choose" to eat breakfast each morning... even when I'm running late, I need to make a point in eating because that food is fuel that enables my body to burn the calories.

Along with that, I've made a point to "pack a lunch" more than eating out. When I eat out, I get lazy. I will go eat that combo meal or get that footlong subway because "I'm just that hungry" at that moment. However, if I choose to make my own lunch and bring it to work, then I can pick what I want to eat... specifically, healthier items. I've increased my fruits and fibers, added more vegetables, and eat more lean meats (fish and chicken) by doing this. And, it's cheaper!

Portions are also smaller. Again, it's a choice. I have to "think" that my stomach is about the size of my fist... therefore, why do I need 3 plates of food at lunch... or dinner... or whenever? Sometimes I don't always win that battle, but I try a lot and have enough victories throughout the week that it's making a difference.

I try to make a point to always have a glass of water at my desk. In my office, we have an ice maker and a plentiful supply of foam cups. So, each morning I grab a cup (you treehuggers might need to put some ear-muffs on) and fill it with iced water and away I go. I'm just a drinkin' and a-peein' all the live long day...

Afternoon snack? How about a banana... or a cereal bar. Sometimes I just go down and get a bag of baked Lays chips (110 calories). This keeps me going and I'm not dragging when it's time to do my evening run. I've also heard gum is a good weapon when fighting afternoon hunger pangs.

Now, those that know me, know I enjoy beer. But... in moderation... it can be used as a motivator. How about designating certain days for celebrating your small victories? After a long run on Sunday, I like to celebrate with my friends at The Flying Saucer. That way I have something to look forward to throughout the week... and during that long run!

During the week, I limit my consumption to basically 2 days - Sundays and either Friday or Saturday. My thought is if I have a few beers on a Friday, then I need to take Saturday off. Typically I choose not to drink on a Saturday because of the long run on Sunday. However, if I go out with friends on a Saturday, then I need to choose not to drink on a Friday.

Again, it's all about choices. And, as you can see, most of my choices are actually pretty small. Small enough that anyone can do these and still lose weight (without all of the added running!)

Anyway, those are some of my tips of how I was able to get to this point. I still have a goal to lose 50 lbs. this year; I know I have a lot of work still ahead. I just have 35 more pounds to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment