Thursday, February 26, 2009

What the Flock???

Last Saturday I was looking for some new tunes from iTunes. I was looking around, but nothing was jumping out at me as a good "workout" song.

After contacting Chandra, she gave me some good ideas on the songs she runs to... and some were 80's. Ahh... the wheels started spinning!

I then perused around the "hair" section and found some interesting ideas. And then it hit me... "I Ran (So Far Away)" by A Flock of Seagulls (I always thought it was "The Flock" but I have since discovered I was vastly incorrect!)

When I run, I like songs that have a pretty good "rhythm and beat" to them. Basically, those that can give me a good cadence when my feet hit the pavement (or treadmill).

Did you know one of the easiest songs to run to is "The House is Rockin'" by Stevie Ray Vaughan? Think about it... the next time you hear that song, just listen to the beat. I have run at different speeds to that song, but I can always hit the beat with my feet when they hit the ground. I've actually used it to focus on my running.

So tonight "A Flock" was screaming in my ears... and I loved it! Re-livin' the youth I tell ya! It was a dark run tonight, but the miles flew by as I listened to the past blast in my eardrums. Good times!

I don't know if it's the music, the new atmosphere, or all of the "crosstraining" I've done, but my speed is so much faster than in previous years of running. For example, tonight I actually ran faster than I did last night... I finished the 3 miles in 30:27... about 40 seconds quicker. My average pace was 10:08, too.

My guess? I think I knew the course better. I knew where the hills would be, and I anticipated the downhills much better... turning on the jets as I cruised through them. But I will say this: Running uphill isn't much of an effort, and I really am not gasping for breath.

My schedule calls for a rest day tomorrow - thank goodness because this is the 3rd day in a row to be running! Saturday I have a 3-miler, and then Sunday it's back to the 6-mile. It ain't easy, but it's still a lot of fun to me.

... And now I have new tunes to enjoy the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment