Wednesday, February 25, 2009

From the O-Deck...

Last night, I went to the gym and ran 3 miles. It wasn't the most pleasant running experience... it actually felt as if I was running with lead weights attached to my ankles. But after the first mile was completed, things loosened up and I ran just fine.

Maybe I'm getting a little bored... or maybe I just "People Watch" too much, but it hit me that I've seen (and heard) a lot of strange things at the gym.

Like I've described before, the treadmills/crossramps/ellipticals are all located upstairs in an area I call, "The Observation Deck." From here, you can see just about everything. And believe-you-me, that's not always a good thing.

Behind me last night were two chatty girls... actually, they sounded more like 2 cackling hens! As much as I tried to tune them out (turning up the volume on my iPod, straining to focus my attention on the TV, etc.), I just couldn't get away from their constant yacking!

I heard all about their friends, husbands, coworkers, families, and anyone else they have come into contact with since being born. Seriously! Do you really need to talk that loud about all of those topics in front of everyone (complete strangers)?

People are just weird to me... maybe that's a shocking revelation to some, but seriously... do people really even think when they leave their houses and go out into the public domain anymore?

Take for example "the pool people." These are the rather large Marge's (and barges!) that come to the gym for the sole purpose of using the pool. I have seen things going into that pool and coming out of that pool that the naked eye shouldn't be privy to. And it's not just limited to the pool... they arrive and depart in full regalia! At least throw a mumu on!

Remember me complaining in earlier blogs about that crazy dude that worked at LA Fitness and wanted me to workout with him? That spaz likes to workout bare-footed. I'm serious! He's covered in sweat (literally... head to toe!) and he walking around without socks or shoes. That's just gross. I have noticed, though, that he no longer works there... hmmm... complaints???

Let's talk tattoos. I am now convinced that I am in the minority as everybody and their mother's brother appears to have a tattoo etched "somewhere" on their body. It still amazes me that so many have them these days - not to mention, "where" they have them! Sometimes I just want to say, "Do you even realize what that's going to look like when you're pushing retirement?"

Something about women I still don't get is how in the heck can they multi-task the way they do? How can someone come to the gym, hop on a treadmill, and either talk on the phone (Grrr!) or text? That's just crazy to me... some are even on the elliptical machines!

Spandex should NEVER be considered a "fashion statement." There is a guy that comes to the gym and all he wears is neon green biker shorts with a "tucked in" workout shirt. Uh, hello? "Crazy, party of one..." He walks around like he owns the joint with all of his junk hanging out...

Want to talk locker rooms? At a previous gym I witnessed the worst offenses: Lots and lots of naked dudes just struttin' their stuff as if they didn't have a care in the world. How can 2 naked guys stand there and talk to each other? And the worst was a guy that liked to use the hair dryer on places other than his head...

But last night I saw something that really caused me to stop and wonder... a guy walks into the gym (sounds like a joke) wearing black sandles, white socks, plaid pajama pants, and a white sleeveless t-shirt with "Buckwheat" on the front. Yes... I said Buckwheat. This balding man, probably in his mid-50s, then proceeded to work out. I was shocked... first, that he was wearing this outfit. But mostly because someone let him walk out in that gettup!

Maybe I need to start wearing a blindfold...

No comments:

Post a Comment