Friday, December 18, 2009

My Cousin Gail's Foot...

I don't know about you, but when I look at that X-RAY to the right, it just sends a chill up my spine...

OK... here's the story... in Gail's words:

I was walking my two dogs on Sunday before Thanksgiving and simply turned my foot. I had on sandals like a dummy instead of tennis shoes. I really didn't think it was broken. However, I have Jones Fracture, which runs across the long bone on the outside of my foot. I could have waited 6 weeks to see if it would have healed on its own. There was a 75% chance. However, if it didn't, I would have had to have surgery anyway, in which case I would be looking at a recup period of 12 weeks.

Now, when I received these pics, she didn't tell me what happened. I knew that she had been going through some "home improvement" projects this year, so I honestly thought a screw got lodged in her foot! In fact, I was thinking she was the victim of a nail gun!

Now get this: She still thinks that my break was much worse than hers. Which leads me to comment on something that I've wanted to say for a while...

I can assure you of this: When it comes to breaks, I don't judge or compare. Whatever you've been through, are going through, or will go through... I am not thinking, "Well... how does THAT stack up against what I went through?"

I say all of this because I've heard, "Believe me... this doesn't compare to the problem you had with your knee." Maybe that's what people expect from me... but I hope to change all of that.

You see, "empathy" is now in my vocabulary. I don't want anyone to go through "pain" like this... it's uncomfortable, it's awkward, and it just changes your entire life from the get go!

Before my little blooper, I probably wasn't the best listener when people talked about their injuries.

"Oh, you tore your ACL? That's nice. I mean... sorry about that."
"Broken wrist? That's a bummer..."
"What do you mean you can't go out? Oh... still in the hospital."

All right... maybe it wasn't that bad. But seriously, I guess you never know what someone is going through until you walk a mile in their shoes.

So I feel very badly for my cousin. However, she's in good hands. A lot of people are helping her out, and she's be waited on big-time by friends, coworkers, and family.

Please lift her up in your prayers - as well as her helpers! And if you're a dog walker, be careful out there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment