Friday, July 17, 2009

I Have a NEW House!!!

OK... not exactly... but it "looks" new!

Are you one of those people that, given time and boredom, you begin to "notice" things around your house that need to be corrected?

Well, I definitely fall into that category.

Last summer, while my A/C struggled to keep up with the demand I was putting on it, something happened. Usually when "something happens" and it involves your A/C unit, it's not a good thing. Well, the drip pan rusted through... and gravity did its job by pulling the water through my living room ceiling. Yay me!

So, I had the beautiful "rusted water stain" on my ceiling. Not only that, but the sheetrock was split. Oh the humanity!

First things first, I obviously had the A/C fixed. The unit is literally on its last leg... and coil... and has been described by two different HVAC technicians as "the biggest piece of junk I've ever seen." It's on my "list" to be replaced.

However, I put off the water stain repair until I was ready. Not really from a financial situation... but more of, "It's fine... it's not bothering me... plus, I don't want to put in the time to be here for all of that mess."

Fast forward a year later... you'd never guess what lying on your back does to your psyche when you are staring at a big, ugly water stain! Not only that, but everytime you came over to your house from your parents, you had to see the crappy exterior (wood in need or repair, paint hanging on for dear life, etc.). I finally had enough...

I asked around, but nobody really had any experiences with painters. Especially the ones that could do the repairs that I needed (interior and exterior). So low and behold, I took matters into my own hands and started my own search.

I've done this before with some success (sprinkler system). Basically, I went to Google Maps and entered my criteria. I found several web sites, but I also read over the "reviews." If I wanted further information about a company, I've gone out to BBB to see if there were any complaints.

Well, I found my company. You've got to know something about me: I crave communication when it comes to projects. If you're doing work for me, I want to know that we can talk. If you're going to be late, no problem... just talk to me. I also believe "professionalism" should encompass everything - prompt, courteous, reliable, etc.

I contracted with Boyd Hunt Painting, based here in Rowlett. Boyd has been in the business for over 25 years, and believe me it shows. The day after I sent him an email, he contacted me and setup an appointment to come out and give me an estimate.

When he showed up, I told him what I was looking for and all of the problems that needed to be addressed. He said, "I'm not the cheapest, but I'll give you a fair price." He also said his paint is very expensive because he uses the best and it lasts the longest. When asked how long, he said, "Lifetime," which translates into how long one would stay in a house (15-20 years).

Within the week, I had the written estimate and felt good with him doing the job. (Normally I take several bids, but I felt comfortable giving him the contract after we met)

So this week, "Project Paint" began. Boyd and his crew showed up at 8:02 AM on Monday. How about that for being prompt? Each day thereafter, they were here from 7:30-3:30. Would you want to be out in this heat?

They power washed the entire house, including my patio and porch slabs. The first three days were focused on "prepping," so there was a lot of caulking and sanding. Yesterday they started painting the exterior, and began work on the living room ceiling. Today, they finished the painting - all the woodwork, eves, awnings, gutters, and doors (all exterior doors, including my big garage door). The chimney was repaired, as was the back patio door.

And that water stain? If anyone walks into this house and can see the remnants, I'd hand you a $100... I'm THAT confident that you couldn't tell there ever was a problem. Amazing work!

I asked him what his area was, and he said they paint all over the Metroplex (DFW). This week he had my house and one in Flower Mound... and I know he's painted in Arlington. He also said most of his work is "interior," which surprised me.

So I'm extremely pleased... and just wanted to recommend Boyd and his company to you if you're local and looking for a "fair" painter.

My house looks brand spankin' new... now, on to other projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment