Sunday, July 26, 2009

Big Day Today...

Today I did something I haven't done since April: I ventured out in public without the use of a brace.

I don't know how you contemplate "time" when it comes to me and my injury, but it has been a LONG time since I've felt somewhat normal.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with Dr. Rutherford, and if you remember from my last visit, he said, "I expect you to be walking in without crutches, and walking out without your brace."

So I decided that the "shock factor" could be reduced if I give it a "test drive" today. Given the fact that I was in need of groceries, I decided this was the perfect opportunity.

Hopping into the truck, it felt a bit weird. I no longer had this massive "foam sock" to maneuver as I climbed into the cab. Driving was also strange... "Hey... I can actually feel the A/C on my knee!"

After I parked, I knew I just had to take it slow. And brutha, I make slow look goooooood!

Walking across that parking lot, I wasn't sure what people were thinking. I was going slow, but I didn't have the "explanation" of a brace on the leg. I also wasn't sure if they could see the scar... and if it was grossing them out.

It was good to get to the cart - that way I had something to hold onto. I meandered around the store, taking my time. Super Targets are pretty dang big, but usually less crowded than a Walmart... so that's good.

Once I paid and made it out to my truck, I could tell I had given it a really good workout. I was tired... and while it wasn't extremely painful, it was letting me know that it wasn't happy.

So my first test was a success. It's strange walking around now... given how far I've come. I definitely feel the wires in the knee... not a lot of flexibility or "give" in it. And, as some of you know, I've had some "buckling" issues when the knee has given out.

I'll post an update after my doctor visit... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment