Monday, October 5, 2009

I Feel Your Pain...


My football team was hit with a major setback when our starting quarterback, Robert Griffin, went down with an injured knee. It happened on the first drive - he was hit and hyper-extended the knee. The result: A torn ACL.

Remarkably, nobody knew it was that severe. He actually went back into the game on the next series. In one half, he passed for 226 yards and 3 TD's... on a torn ACL!

When it was discovered that he had a season-ending injury, he (and everybody else!) was shocked. He said when it happened, it was about a 10 on the pain scale. But later, while he was running around on it, it felt like a 4-5.

Losing Griffin is a major blow to a program that has struggled for the past 15 years. We haven't had a winning record in that amount of time... which means, we haven't been to a bowl. This was our year. The prognosticators felt that we could get the minimum 6 wins to be eligible for a bowl game. Why? Because we had all of the cogs working together... and the key was Robert Griffin.

That picture says it all to me. It probably speaks to him and the team. You see, that's kinda what I looked like when I crashed down on the pavement and lost all chances of running not just the marathon... but for the remainder of 2009. In an instant, your dreams and goals are dashed.

Fortunately for him, his injury isn't as severe as mine. He didn't break his kneecap into 2 pieces... and he only has 1 surgery to fix his problem. However, I know it's a heartbreak for him... the team... and the fans.

I believe he'll recover... I believe my Bears will fight for those last remaining 3 wins needed to reach a bowl... and I believe we still have the cogs in place to surprise people.

I believe all of this because I have to... if I didn't, then that would mean, in some ways, that I don't believe in myself... and I think I've shared enough of my life to each of you to prove that I DO believe in me.

So as painful as it is right now, Baylor Bears, it will get better... things will improve... and you WILL be triumphant!

No comments:

Post a Comment